So, this post will end off the series of posts I was doing on LMS Selection as a precursor to my DevLearn presentation. The other related posts are:
- LMS RFP
- LMS Selection Presentation Reformulated
- LMS Selection Team and Stakeholders
- LMS Selection Process
- LMS Satisfaction Features and Barriers
- Learning Management Systems (LMS) Gotchas
- Tracking Without an LMS
- LMS Dissatisfaction on the Rise
- Do You WANT an LMS? Does a Learner WANT an LMS?
- Moving from One to Many - LMS Products are Two Generations Behind
- Leading with an LMS - Harmful to Your Health (or Skipping Stages ...
- Tools for On-Demand Information - An LMS?
- Point Solutions vs. Suites and Composition
This post focuses on what your Team will look like and how long it may take you. First of all, the survey of guild members broken the LMS Selection Team a bit different than I do. And I believe they were asking on core team only. Second, the LMS Selection Process in their report ended up being considerably different than mine. In particular, they asked about six steps:
- Gather and Specify Requirements
- Research Vendors Requirements
- Meet with Vendors
- Install and Configure
- What's the difference in time if you customize or don't customize?
- What's the timeline with Large Enterprise LMS implementations vs. smaller implementations? Or based on particular vendors?
- For people who considered this particular feature set important, how long did it take?
Note: larger circles indicate more answers.
There are some notes scattered below. Overall, it appears that it roughly takes:
3.5 people about 23 months to get things implemented. Wow, 23 months! By then, you are likely wrong about your requirements and the system you selected. Maybe you should have gone with a Starter LMS.
1 - Gather and Specify RequirementsMedian - 3 people, 5 months
2 - Research Vendors RequirementsMedian - 3.5 people, 4 months
3 - Meet with VendorsMedian - 3.5 people, 2 months
Note: people aren't spending enough time during evaluation doing hands-on evaluation. I have not idea how this can be shorter than researching vendors.
4 - Install and ConfigureMedian - 3.5 people, 4 months
5 - CustomizeMedian - 3.75 people, 4 months
Note - there should have been more 0,0 values. Isn't it time for us to stop customizing?