Tony Karrer's eLearning Blog on e-Learning Trends eLearning 2.0 Personal Learning Informal Learning eLearning Design Authoring Tools Rapid e-Learning Tools Blended e-Learning e-Learning Tools Learning Management Systems (LMS) e-Learning ROI and Metrics

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Move to Front?

As a comment on my last post First Thoughts After ASTD Sessions
, Chris from eQuixotic reminded me that I could have asked the audience to move towards the front of the room to fill empty spots in order for them to hear. I thought about it, but decided not to. It certainly hurt the session to have a large room. But I also know that I hate having to move myself. And, often, it makes it harder to Session Hop.

I'm curious what other people think about the issue:
Do you ask people to move to the front of the room?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tony, I don't know that I'd recommend that you as the presenter suggest that people move toward the front. You're right - that's always awkward for the participants. And for the presenter as well.

I just wish people would start doing so on their own. It just seems like common sense and common courtesy.

Anonymous said...

I think there is a fine line between how you conduct a Conference Session and a Training workshop. I agree with Chris, in a conference session let people sit where they like. However in any training workshop of mine I make sure everyone is up the front and involved!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tony, I agree with Chris's comment that you should not have to ask people to the front of the room, that should be the job of the MC (assuming you have one). Alternatively, if you get a chance to review the room prior to your presentation and have the time, remove some of the chairs. If I am expecting 20 people I will often only put out 15 chairs. I think it is far easier to ask for a latcomer to grab a chair than to ask early comers to move forward. Makes the presentation seem popular too.

Cheers Andrew