- 74% of the people saw it
- 21% missed it
- 5% not sure
Writing for Skimming
To me this means that we all have to work on our ability to write for skimming. I can't say that I'm all that great at this, but here are some things I try to do.
- Break Up Text - Write relatively shorter paragraphs with the main idea called out in text.
- Use Headlines - Breaking up content into major sections and label those sections with headers.
- Use Bullets - Bulleted lists makes it much easier for a skimmer to get useful information.
- Bolding- Within copy on the page, it's good to bold words or phrases that you want to jump out. Skimmers' will pick up that text first and then may read the rest of the words around it. Don't make everything bold or it will make nothing jump out.
- Hyperlink Text - The text that goes along with the hyperlink will also jump out to the skimmer. Change the text to fit what you are trying to say.