Tony Karrer's eLearning Blog on e-Learning Trends eLearning 2.0 Personal Learning Informal Learning eLearning Design Authoring Tools Rapid e-Learning Tools Blended e-Learning e-Learning Tools Learning Management Systems (LMS) e-Learning ROI and Metrics

Friday, December 19, 2008

Personal Learning Books

Brett Miller has taken me up on my 100 Conversation Topics which you can see what's happening at eLearning Learning - 100 Conversations. His post were some book recommendations for learning professionals. I must say that his list of books was quite interesting and come from a bit outside where I normally think. I went and ordered:
just based on Brett's comment:
Gelb looks at what made the greatest learner of all time the, um, greatest learner of all time;
I wasn't as sure on the others:
I still have the horrible habit of ordering a lot more books than I can ever read. I once took a personality profile and the feedback person walked into the room and started with, "So you like going into bookstores" - which was not one of the direct questions on the profile. And, yes, I do.

Thanks Brett for the suggestions.

4 comments:

Paul Angileri said...

Don't feel so bad about buying more books than you have time to read. I fall into that category myself. I had time to start catching up in the fall of last year...and then I decided to go back to school. So, I'm reading again, but an entirely different set of books than the ones I got at the local B&N or from Amazon.

jay said...

Permit me to plug Mastery. George Leonard is a towering figure in the human potential movement. His articles in Look magazine paved the way for educational reform in this country. His work at Esalen Institute has inspired the world. George coined the term "human potential movement." Frail and in his eighties, George is still inventing new moves in aikido. Mastery explains that you reach plateaus in performance improvement where you're stuck for a long time until the next breakthrough. Persistence and faith are required to work one's way to the next level. A short, memorable book.

Blogger In Middle-earth said...

Snap Tony!

I just wrote a post on books. You'll enjoy 'How to Think Like Leonardo..."

But, hey, I seem to remember a comment I put on someone's post about da Vinci and Concept Workers. Unfortunately, I've forgotten where I put it and Co Comment's gone bung on me :-).

I guess it's whatever's your poison - with books I mean - a good read is Iacocca's Where Have All The Leaders Gone?. He doesn't hold back any punches.

Catchya
from Middle-earth

Anonymous said...

I personally am very choosy while purchasing Books I will pay my to time to get through the website to make sure that I was making Right choice and I would always prefer books that come along with CD as they can save our time.Recently I brought a chemistry book form Rapidlearningcenter.com It helped me a lot.