Let me try to explain the question and then I'm hoping I'll get a bit of help on answers.
I believe that the Context we do our Work and Learning is changing:
- Ever increasing pace of information creation
- Greater volume of information
- Improved accessibility of these large quantities of information
- Wider and more varied sources of information
- Larger numbers of people creating content
- Greater access to wider networks of people
However, when I look at what I do day-to-day and what other people do day-to-day as part of their work and learning, I don't see it as really being different. Basically, I see us:
- Staying generally knowledgeable on about my industry, my job skills, etc.
- Performing research tasks to figure out things (tacit knowledge work), e.g., what eLearning tools should I be using.
- Performing transactional information work where we get some piece of information and quickly do something with it, e.g., respond to email
- Acquire knowledge/skills in new domains